Awam Media had written a detailed article on the Azaan school rape case, which can be read by Clicking here. This article is the 2nd article in this story.
UPDATES FROM THE VICTIMS FAMILY (25th Sep 2018)
When Awam Media met the victim girls father he was visually very disturbed and was reluctant to talk. His brother came and talked to us. He said “We just demand justice be done to us, proper security must be given in the school campus, investigate other similar cases of allegations, make sure that such incidents are not repeated again. ”
UPDATES FROM DEFENSE LAWYER OF THE ACCUSED (26th Sep 2018)
The said accused Jeelani’s Lawyer Mohammed Aslam told Awam Media, “The accused was kept in Chanchalguda Jail in Hyderabad. He was produced on 24th Sep 2018 before the Court, the police requested 4 days custody for interrogation, but the Hon’ble Judge granted the police two days custody of the accused for conducting Potency Test, and directed to interrogate in presence of his defense lawyer. But the interrogation got completed on 25th Sep 2018 itself. The accused was produced before the Court again on 26th Sep 2018, and was sent back to jail. We are waiting for the Potency Test results, the Hospital Test results of the victim, and the police investigation, later the chargesheet will be filed, and trial will start.”
QUESTIONS ASKED TO AZAAN SCHOOL MANAGEMENT ( 25th Sep 2018)
Awam Media met Azaan school management and talked to two persons, the Chairman and the Academic Dean who were both present on the campus on the ‘event day’, we asked questions which have been asked by people across Hyderabad on the minor girl molestation case. We are writing down answers to the asked questions. Awam Media & School Management will be referred to as a AM and SM respectively in following Q & A
AM : Can you recall what all happened on the date of the event ie 14th Sep 2018?
(1) The little girl’s school ends at 12:30pm, later she was playing around in the campus on the swings with her cousin happily, and was also helping her cousin to play.
(2) Later around 12:50pm her father came to pick her up, he went to talk with the teacher regarding her studies.
(3) After around 10 minutes the father took the daughter who went jumping along with him.
(4) After 30 minutes at around 1:30pm the father came and complained to the school about a injury to the girl.
(5) The day being Friday, the management had gone to offer Friday prayers and came back around 2pm.
(6) When the management came back, the girl was in the pre-primary area, was eating chocolates and playing with building blocks.
(7) The Headmistress along with the girl, her father & aunt went to Jayabhushan Hospital for the girl’s checkup.
(8) The father insisted this hospital as they have their family doctor there.
(9) The doctor after checkup suspected something odd happened with the girl.
(10) The father of the girl returned back to the school and demanded to see the CCTV footage.
(11) We took him to the surveillance room.
(12) Later the father said that the girl has identified the person with a white shirt, ie Jeelani, the accused.
(13) Some people came along with the father to the Correspondents room.
(14) Jeelani was brought before us and when question repeatedly, he denied the accusations.
(15) As the accused was denying the accusations, we found it better to call the police.
(16) The police arrived and the school correspondent gave a complaint letter to the police.
(17) Around 4pm, the girl, her father, her aunt and a lady constable went to the Government Hospital for the girls checkup and tests, as a case complaint has been filed.
(18) The Headmistress wanted to join them, but was not allowed to go along.
(19) Around 4:30pm, the said accused Jeelani was handed over to the police.
(20) Around 4:45pm, lots of people started coming gathering and there was exchange of words with the management. The crowd was abusing us in filthy language.
(21) The mob started beating the staff members.
(22) 100’s of persons gathered outside the school.
(23) Around magrib prayer time, We called the local MLA to interve and stop the mob.
(24) The crowd calmed for some time when the MLA came.
(25) After the MLA left, again the crowd got violent and started damaging the property.
(26) The mob tried hard to break the gates violently.
(27) We had to open the gates on the advice of the police.
(28) The mob came inside and started damaging the property, like window panes, bus glasses, office furniture, board, center table, chairs etc. Even stones were thrown at the school masjid windows and board.
(29) Around 8pm, lady staff members were safely taken out of the school by the ACP.
(30) The Chairman stayed back to be with the staff.
(31) As the protest was going on, the police found a threat to the Chairman’s life and asked him to be escorted out of the campus.
(32) Around 11:15 pm, The Chairman and his wife were taken away in the police vehicle.
(33) Suddenly about 50 bikes followed this police vehicle.
(34) Unfortunately we had to stop at Masab Tank junction due to a traffic blockage.
(35) The persons from the bikes, got down, broke windscreen of the police vehicle, opened the doors and were pulling us out, we were almost killed.
(36) We tried very hard to save our lives and left immediately.
(37) Again at Paradise junction, Secunderabad we were locked in a traffic jam, and were attacked again by this mob on bikes.
(38) We were taken away to an unknown destination, and we had our phones shut off.
(39) We were asked to not come to school until the situation is under control.
(40) We closed the school from the day of the event.
AM: Where did you think all this mob of so many people gathered from? who organised this?
SM : We have no idea.
AM : What all cases have been filed? How many persons are accused in all?
SM : We have filed one case on the persons who have damaged our property. One Sub-inspector was attacked by the mob, so some persons are said to be prosecuted for that by police. Cases are also filed by the private persons whose vehicles were damage, and the police vehicle damaged.
AM : Your response to the incident is found to be late.Why were you not coming out and talking to media during first 1-2 days of the incident?
SM: The Academic Dean has been in the school premises since last 11 days and has not gone out. Because of the mob attack, we could not come out. Also, the Urdu letter circulated around in media was not written by us at all. Later we organised a press conference to talk on the issue.
AM : It is alleged that many CCTV cameras were not working. How many cameras do you have at your campus? Did you see the accused and the victim girl in the video? Why is the CCTV footage not being given to public when in many such cases we see the CCTV comes out?
SM: We believe the cameras were working. We have about 80 CCTV cameras. Due to being busy in solving the complaint by the father first, and later handling the mob and saving ourselves from the mob, we could not watch all the videos recorded on those 80 cameras. We could only see some video footage, by which we gave you earlier information regarding the girl’s movement. On the day of the incident the whole Digital Video Recorders (DVR) were confiscated by the police and it is with them. It is only them who can investigate in detail or release it.
AM : Are you saying the accused has done the crime or not?
SM : We cant say anything as of now. We have not examined the complete tapes. Only the police investigation will reveal the truth.
AM : Some people say your school does not have International Standards to call itself International School? People says these so called International schools charge lakhs of rupees as fees and dont even have proper systems.
SM : Our school follows CBSE format. We adhere to the best educative methods & standards available, follow international activities, do visits, do online interaction with other countries. We have been awarded recently by the organisation British Council (UK) International School Award 2017-2020. No, we do not charge lakh rupees as fees. We started our school in 2006, and many other schools have followed our model. You cannot find any such Islamic school in Hyderabad with CBSE syllabus. We have around 60 Ulema teachers with average salary of Rs 15,000. We even provide lunch for primary school branch.
AM : If you are not sure about the crime being happened or not, why did you offer 5 lakh rupees to the child?
SM : We are also waiting for the investigation to give the truth out. We are not claiming that anything happened or not. We believe every child studying here is our child. We have declared it just on compassionate grounds only. The parents are traumatised. The community has to stand for the child and her parents. We will not charge any
fees for the girl’s education till her 12th standard and will also put Rs 5 lakh in a fixed deposit for her.
AM : What kind of checking do you do before you hire a person?
SM : We take the educational certificates and verify them. We ask for references and talk to the references. We hire people from known persons usually.
AM : There has been demand to shut down the school, what do you want say?
SM: We have around 1700 students studying here. Let the investigation finish first. We are not in a situation to say anything right now. Why should we jeopardise the future of 1700 students before any investigation is done. Because of such threat, the school was closed since 10 days. Today was the first working day after the incident.